Cold sores are one of the most common infections, affecting around 90% of all people.Cold sores are caused by a highly contagious virus, called the herpes simplex virus (HSV). They are also referred to as fever blisters.
Cold sores are easily transmitted between humans, and therefore you need to be careful when you get one. Cold sores can be passed through a kiss, but they can also be transmitted to the genitals by oral sex.
- Tingling or itching sensation on the lips or mouth
- Appearance of a small single blister or a cluster of blisters filled with a fluid
- Lasts 8-10 days
- The first infection usually has the worst symptoms
- Lips are the most affected area
- Blisters might also appear in inside your mouth, throat, nose, cheek or chin
Some tips to prevent cold sores:
- Do not kiss someone with a cold sore
- Try not to share cups and utensils
- Avoid exposing your lips to the sun (try special sun-protection lipstick)
- Avoid stress
- Wash your hands if you touch a cold sore
Do you suffer from cold sores? See if you qualify for IMMUNOe’s clinical study on cold sores today!